1 John 4:16

"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

Sunday, March 13, 2011

21km ??? !!! ???

We've been participating in weekly weekend runs - running anything from 7km to 17km. It's a lot of fun to get out with all the runners who tend to be a jovial group (perhaps it's all the endorphines!) and the fact that each run takes place in a different little Italian village makes it all the more fun and eclectic. 


I am always intrigued to see what kind of refreshments they'll offer at the end of the course plus they usually have a little item of value or goodie-bag of stuff for the runners who finish.  You can never predict what there will be, and if you know me, since it's a surprise.... I get super excited about it! 


For example, after one run they offered us fried apples and a glass of wine? Or there was the time when there were sausages - Z liked that one! One time they served us a nice big plate of pasta. And most recently we were given vin-brulee... and the goodie bag? It can be anything from a bottle of wine to a package of spaghetti. 


Well, today we got up at 7am to go running - in the rain! And after Z had been up until 1:30am completing a cement project... so we were zonked, but we had an agreement to pick up some friends for the run so there was no backing out. We had every intention to take it easy, but then, when I arrived at the point where we could choose to run either 15km or 21km I thought, "I'm actually feeling pretty good!" I had my i-pod tunes going and so, I turned down the 21km direction....


The feel of the rain on my face was liberating and I was listening to gospel music and they were singing, "Thine is the kingdom, Thine is the power, Thine is the glory foreeevver!" Amen! I was on a high :) Not to mention we were running through farm fields and with the rain the trail had become all muddy... I was remembering running the Muddy Buddy race in the US with my good friend Kim... Ahhh... so great!!!


About 2 km later there was a "restoro" the stand where they give you gatorade, water, and, here in Italy, hot sweet-tea :) You know that makes me happy! 
I asked the fellow working the stand, "So, what km are we here?" 
"Oh, you're just under 10km" came the response.
Just under 10km!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!! I thought for sure that when they gave us the choice for the 15km or the 21km we must have been closer to 12km mark! That's when the realization first hit me, "Uh, oh, Amanda, you are in for it..." 
That's when I began noticing, that since I'd made the turn in the 21km direction, I was no longer passing anyone... they were all passing me and looking very professional and well trained... I willed my legs to keep moving... 


Two hours later I did finally make it to the end - one gimpy spazzing leg and all. My poor fellow runners had been waiting around for over and hour by the time I showed up because they'd decided on 10km and Z did the 15km - MUCH smarter people. 
Oh, but when I turned in my completion ticket to get my goodie-bag, I felt VERY deserving. I'd sure earned that! And it was the biggest goodie bag I'd received yet! Pasta, granola bar, electrolyte/gatorade mix, a mini-cake, canned beans and peas and a jar of tomato sauce :D I ran to earn my food for the whole week!


Ouch! But my legs and feet are sure telling me that I shouldn't shock them in this manner... they'll recover though :) A good nap and a few items from my goodie bag will ensure that. 


Now to make it from the kitchen to my bedroom... ohhhh... those 63 stairs are sure looking daunting! 

No comments: