1 John 4:16

"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

Monday, February 14, 2011

Can't Swallow and Can't Breathe...


You would think that after 30 years of life some of the basic things required for daily life would come second nature and we wouldn’t have to think about them anymore. Well, come to find out that I don’t swallow or breathe right… Thank goodness I’m still alive!

The first I discovered from my dentist – it seems that since I’ve had so much mouth trouble throughout my life that I never made the switch from “kid-swallowing”, which we do when we’re losing and missing our teeth during our developing years, to “grown-up-swallowing” what naturally follows once we have all our permanent teeth and an “adult” mouth.  I learned that most every adult can swallow while laying down! And all along I thought it was a trick only Z could do :) We’ll eventually I’ll be able to do it too after I finish my swallowing lessons with the swallow-doctor! Yes, there is a more technical name, but it's not quite as fun. 

Not swallowing is one thing, but not breathing right?!?!? Being a healthcare professional I realize that if one doesn’t breath properly it results in all kinds of health trials and could even lead to death. So, when I was told I sprained an intercostal muscle (the muscles you find between your ribs) because I breathe wrong I was rather amazed. Pretty good to survive more than 30 years without breathing right! This one is a bit less of a drastic learning curve. Turns out that for whatever reason, I just have a weak diaphragm muscle and with some easy strengthening exercises which are no more than breathing correctly, I will breathe just as I should have been all these years.

Wow! What with finally learning how to swallow and breath the next years of my life promise to be quite amazing! :D Before I get carried away with excitement, perhaps I should double check and make sure I know how to walk…. 

No comments: