1 John 4:16

"We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Welcome to Vienna!!! Or as the locals write it: Wien!!!




During the last week of April I had the opportunity through work to visit Vienna in order to attend a Continuing Medical Education training seminar. It was an exciting opportunity for me to meet Dept. of State Health Unit medical providers from all around the world. I mean literally ALL over the world and even from places I couldn’t begin to place on the map let alone pronounce. I was the youngest attendee both from the literal perspective and from the experience perspective. There was one amazing woman who had begun working in Ethiopia before I was even born… Wow! She has some pretty incredible stories. And now I have many contacts to go to when I run into new and/or questionable situations through work.









However, the most exciting part of the trip was: Zeno flew up to spend a long weekend with me! We were fortunate that my trip coincided with an Italian holiday, so using low-budget airlines, Zeno was able to join up with me Thursday evening. Unfortunately, it being a business trip, I was in sessions all day through Saturday. But we still adventured out together in the evenings to explore the new city together. During the day, it was so sweet, Zeno scouted out possibilities for us in the evening so that we would waste no from my transition from class to adventure.

During the day there was a gargantuan open air market, which, unfortunately I missed, but Zeno was able to grab some snap shots and he found some wonderful spices for us… which, in fact, he’s using now as he whips us up a gourmet dinner – Yummy! My tummy can hardly wait!



On Saturday evening, we went hiking just outside the city through a small vineyard and farming area called: Grinzing. The rain threatened to catch us, but in the end, threaten is all it really managed to do. And we had a terrific hike on the: Stadtwanderweg!
























View of Vienna from a hilltop in Grinzing – you can see the Danube to the left (though, I will share with you from a first hand viewing experience: it’s not blue…)









Because of the rainy weather and damp trails, we were nearly the only hikers out and it was so serene and peaceful. However, there were a number of animals out including a little wile capriolo, a few slugs, and tons of snails!!!! I’ve never seen so many snails! You had to watch your step or you might end up accidentally stepping on an entire family. At first, I thought it was a little gross, but then, after following Zeno’s lead and taking a good look at the little guys, I found that they’re actually kinda cute!

1 comment:

bella utahan said...

What a beautiful city! I am glad you two had such a great time!